Thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes!
Yesterday was officially my birthday, although with how much I’ve talked about it, I can see why you might have been confused. With that I am now 26……26 years young of course. Because seriously, when does the whole “being an adult” thing kick in?
With a Blogger’s birthday, comes one of two posts. Either the list of things they learned (I did that one last year) or the list of things they want to do. I guess I have no ambition because I’ve never attempted that list.
I’ve got a slightly different twist on the list though. It will of course have 26 items because I’m not a complete novice at this, but my list is things I still don’t get. Specifically, 26 “Adult” Things I Still Don’t Understand……
Let’s just start shall we?
1. Insurance. Does anyone understand this anymore? All I know is I need it and it costs money. Most likely more money then I can pay, unless I get a job in which they give it to me? Yes, no? I still pay for it? Dang…
2. HMO. Pretty sure this is a real thing?
3. PPO. I’m more inclined to believe this one is made up.
4. Taxes. Why you take all my money Obama?
5. Making Your Own Dr. Appointments. Ok fine, I understand it, I just want my Mom to continue to make those for me until I die, and what’s so wrong with that?
6. Not Having a Christmas Break. Since when did it become acceptable for adults not to enjoy Holiday’s with their families? I understand not giving me two weeks, but a half day on Christmas Eve then one day for Christmas? Gee thanks Mr. Scrooge.
7. Minimum Vacation Time in General. And people wonder why they burn out…..
8. Not Being Accepting of Everyone. I realize kids can be mean as well, but they are way more apt to accept everyone until we, as adults, teach them not to. I just wish I could bake a cake made out of rainbows and smiles, and we’d all eat it and be happy…….
9. Tipping. Math + Kelsey = not friends. Math with percentages + Kelsey = Mortal enemies. Just tell me what I owe you in order to leave your establishment with my doggy bag please.
10. Watching the News. If it’s not viral on Facebook or on Buzzfeed news, chances are I won’t know about it……….I just read that out loud and realize how bad that actually is…
11. Why is a Tv Reporter behind the desk called an Anchor? Who decided that?
12. AAA. So like, I can just call them and they come to rescue me?
13. Having Kids. I want them, but does anyone else have a minor panic attack when they think about actually having them. Like having them forever, not just while they’re tiny and cute but when they turn into sassy, angsty teenagers?? (I’m looking at you Sis) I’ll stick to nieces and nephews for now, you can give them back at the end of the day.
14. The Amount of Time Before it’s Acceptable to go Home. This one plagued me in college too. I”m all, “Here I am, I made an appearance. Now I’m gonna go home, take my pants off and read a book, k thanks.”
15. Linkedin. But seriously, is it really a thing?
16. Not Watching Cartoons. Yes I’m watching this by myself, and no it’s not because I’m babysitting. You can’t tell me you wouldn’t still enjoy a good Land Before Time flick. Confession, I just re-watched Digimon on Netflix with JB one weekend. It was on in the background as we did other stuff but still. Judge me if you want.
17. Meal Planning. No I get it, I do….but can food just be ready for me when I get home please?
18. Networking. Again, I get it, it’s so good for your career and blah-dy, blah-dy , blah. But if you refer back to #14 you can understand why I’m not a fan of these functions…..
19. Paying Off Student Loans. Can I even be considered an adult if I’m still paying off student loans? Also is it bad that I’m not using the degree I’m even paying off?
20. Those Still Stuck Mentally in Middle School. We get it, you’re pretty, now make your inside just as pretty. Also where did you get those shoes?
21. A Slowing Down Metabolism. But why can’t I eat ice cream for dinner every night and still look fly? Or Fleek? I don’t even know what the kids are saying these days, le sigh….
22. Working a Job You Hate. I’ll never understand this one….And I don’t mean the working a job to make ends meet kind of situation (I’ve been in that canoe already). I mean the you have the opportunity to make changes and you don’t. But what the heck do I know.
23. How to Make Friends. Help me I’m shy…..Also #14….
24. Saving Money While Paying Off Student Loans. This goes back to #19 and even though I went to grad school for free, I still have loans from undergrad. The government wants ALL my money yo!
25. How I Actually Got to 26 things is Terrifying! Oh Lord, how can there be this many things I still don’t understand?? I’ve technically been an adult for like 8 years! Although considering most of that was spent in school, and until a few weeks ago on my Parents insurance, I guess the clock just barely started 😉
26. Those Who Actually Grow Up. Why’d you give up and start being an adult? Life is more fun when you live it with some kid mentalities.
Get a job and pay your bills, but don’t even lose that sense of wonder and acceptance that you had as a kid. As for me and my house, we shall never grow up!
What other “Adult” things do you not understand?
Am I just doing this all wrong?